lunes, 23 de enero de 2012

Motivation

Today I am spending the whole Sunday writing a grant to try to develop new therapies to cure cirrhosis due to alcohol abuse. Probably, it is the main cause of severe liver disease worldwide. I have devoted the last years of my life to fight this devastating disease. Last week I went to Little Rock, in Arkansas, to give a seminar on this topic and a post-doctorate asked me: "Why are you so interested in this disease ?". I will tell you my main motivation during the seminar, I answered. When I started the seminar, I revealed why I am so interested on patients with liver disease due to alcohol abuse. Besides being clinically and scientifically fascinating, I feel that these patients need much more attention, since the scientific community has somehow overlooked this disease for decades. I am feel really motivated to devote my time and energies to the patients that need more help. This is my main motivation. Can you find a better one ?

Hoy estoy pasando el Domingo escribiendo una beca para intentar desarrollar nuevos tratamientos para curar la cirrosis debida al abuso de ingesta de alcohol. Probablemente, es la causa más importante de cirrosis en el mundo. He dedicado los últimos años de mi vida a luchar contra esta devastadora enfermedad. La semana pasada di un seminario en Little Rock, en Arkansas, y un post-doctorado me preguntó: "Por qué estás tan interesado en esta enfermedad ?". Te responderé durante el seminario, le contesté. Cuando empezé la charla, les explique por qué estoy interesado en los enfermos con enfermedades hepáticas por el abuso de alcohol. Además de ser una enfermedad muy interesante desde el punto de vista médico y científico, siento que estos enfermos necesitan mucha mas atención, pues la comunidad científica ha ignorado de alguna manera esta enfermedad durante décadas. Me siento realmente motivado a dedicar mi tiempo y energía a los pacientes que necesitan más ayuda. Esa es mi motivación más importante. Puedes encontar otra mejor ?


NOTE: the picture is from a trip in India. It just shows lots of people. The real motivation.


No hay comentarios: